Maintaining a healthy sex life can benefit your general wellbeing. As such, your sexual behavior plays a great role in your physical and mental health.
Studies have shown that men who show extreme sexual behaviors are at risk of several kinds of issues and health problems. It’s worth noting that most men who have a sexual problem do not even notice they suffer from such an issue. In fact, many men aren’t aware of what constitutes a problem in their sex life. In the event that they do recognize problems in their sexual behavior, they may not know how badly it can affect their lives in general and don’t see a need to do something about it. This article seeks to change such a mindset.
Your sexual life is a natural and essential part of your existence. People’s sexual habits and behaviors are a reflection of so many things, ranging from their personalities, mental states, experiences, physical health, and so on.
Sexual behavior refers to the manner in which human beings experience and express their sexuality. People engage in various forms of sexual activity, spanning from those done alone to those done with other people in varying patterns of frequency and for a wide variety of reasons.
Human sexual activity has sociological, emotional, cognitive, biological, and behavioral aspects. Moreover, sexual behaviors have profound effects on the general well being and health of every individual.
Unhealthy Sexual Behaviour In Men
There are some sexual behaviors that are considered unhealthy overall. These sexual behaviors can increase the chances of contracting some diseases or infections. Unsafe sexual behavior may also affect the physical or mental health of the people involved. As such, such unsafe practices are usually referred to as risky sexual behavior.
Here are some sexual behaviors that are generally deemed unhealthy:
- Engaging in unprotected sex: This is one of the leading causes of the spread of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).
Bodily fluids like blood and semen usually pass from one person to another during sexual intercourse. Thus, having anal or vaginal sex with someone without using a condom increases your chances of contracting or transmitting STDs. Oral sex with a carrier of an STD can increase such risks as well.
- Multiple sexual partners: This refers to engaging in sexual activities with more than one person, which can be a very dangerous habit. Maintaining several sexual partners heightens your risk of contracting or transmitting STDs as well.
Negative Effects Of Unhealthy Sexual Behaviour
Sex is a normal and pleasurable part of life. However, careless, extreme, or unhealthy sexual behaviors expose you to a lot of negative impacts on your health. These negative impacts can take the form of infections, mental disorders, physiological derangements, and so on.
Engaging in extreme sexual activities regularly can become a bad habit that can take a toll on your mind, your physical health, and even your relationships with your family and friends. Thus, having some sort of control over your sexual behavior can help, not just with your health, but also with your productivity at work as well. It goes without saying, then, that learning to detect when your sexual habits are tipping to the extremes can be crucial. Seeking help when you know you need it can be just as important as well.
Here are some negative effects of extreme sexual behavior that are worth taking note of:
Increased Risk of Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Contracting an STD is one of the biggest risks of unhealthy sexual behavior. Common STDs in men include Chlamydia, gonorrhea, and genital herpes. It’s worth noting that some STDs don’t show visible signs or symptoms. This makes them even riskier to spread when you leave yourself unchecked.
Mental Health Problems
Some people deal with a lot of mental or emotional challenges like feelings of guilt, anxiety, and depression as a result of unsafe sexual habits. This is especially in individuals who live with STDs or STIs, as there are some ailments that remain incurable to this day.
Physical Injuries And Trauma
Some extreme sexual behaviors result in injuries to the genitalia, body injuries, and so on. This can predispose a person to infections, inflicts pain on the person involved, and may even progress into a medical complication.
Reduced Sexual Performance And Libido
Most men who engage in vigorous, extreme, and unhealthy sexual behaviors have been found to experience a significant reduction in their libido and sexual performance in the long term. Some may also begin to deal with fertility issues later in life.
There’s usually a push towards recreational drugs in men who have unhealthy or extreme sexual behaviors. Most of them reveal that these drugs fuel their inordinate urges and give them the courage to approach other people. On the other hand, some say that substance usage helps them deal with their guilt, even if for a short while.
Marital And Family Problems
Men with extreme sexual behaviors tend to have a lot of problems with their spouses and family members. They may not be able to obtain sexual satisfaction from their spouse, which can lead to infidelity. Additionally, unhealthy sexual behavior can complicate a person’s relationship with their family, particularly in the event their relatives discover their sexual desires and habits that are deemed abnormal.
Extreme sexual behaviors have a profound effect on your mental health, which can then affect your ability to focus and make rational decisions at your place of work.
Most men with this problem begin to struggle with their performance at work. For the most part, they may experience mood swings, frustration, and sexual urges during work hours. Such incidents can be seriously detrimental to work productivity.
Promiscuity In Men
Sexual promiscuity is the practice of having more than one sexual partner. This is one unhealthy sexual behavior that a significant number of men continue to practice. It is regarded by many as compulsive and pathologic. Furthermore, promiscuity has been discovered to be a factor that leads to ineffective relationships and a lack of mutual trust amongst partners. It has also been known to be a cause of increasing rates of divorce and breakups.
Notably, promiscuous men are exposed to a lot of dangers, which may include the following:
- High risk of STDs: The more people you sleep with, the more difficult it is to keep track of your sexual partners and their respective states of sexual health. Thus, the more difficult it can become to avoid STDs when you maintain multiple partners.
- Increased risks of some life-threatening cancers: Research has revealed that promiscuous men are at greater risk of developing cancers, such as prostate cancer and oral cancers.
- Risk of substance abuse and dependency: Studies have shown that there is a strong link between substance abuse and promiscuity. A study carried out in Dunedin School of Medicine showed that the probability of developing substance dependence increased linearly with an increase in the number of sexual partners.
Causes Of Promiscuity
Studies have shown there are likely reasons why a man can become promiscuous. Let’s take a look at some of them:
- Damage to certain areas of the brain caused by trauma, diseases or substance use can result in serious behavioral changes: These could cause changes in sexual behavior, which can include promiscuity.
- Alcohol and drug abuse: These substances affect thinking, sense of judgment, and the ability to make rational decisions. It is one of the major causes of extreme sexual behavior in men. It helps fuel their sexual desires and gives the mental courage needed to proceed with certain sexual acts, no matter how risky or extreme.
- Mental health conditions: Certain findings have shown a link between promiscuity and mental disorders, like depression and anxiety.
- Family conflicts and disagreements: Marital problems or other family problems can be a triggering factor for promiscuity in men. Some promiscuous men reveal that when they cannot find sexual satisfaction from their spouse, they seek it elsewhere.
- Past history of sexual abuse: Men who have been sexually abused may begin to avoid any emotional attachment to anyone. This can lead to engaging in sexual activities with many different people in an effort to avoid building attachments to a specific person.
Seek professional help when your sexual behavior begins to cause problems for you and others. Not only can unhealthy sexual behaviors create problems in your personal and professional life, but it can damage your health as well.
Seeking help is easier said than done, though. This is because sexual issues are a deeply personal and sensitive matter. That said, it can help to try to do away with feelings of shame and embarrassment. Remember, you’re not the only one who suffers from such problems. Your doctor is concerned only about your wellbeing and recovery. As such, treat this issue like you would any other regular health ailment. Think of it as a clinical problem that requires immediate action and treatment. You can only benefit from seeking treatment, so don’t be afraid to open up. Be honest with your doctor. After all, what you say to your health care professional will remain confidential.
When Should I Seek Help?
- Seek help when you notice your sexual urges and behaviors are uncontrollable.
- Reach out for professional help if you think your sexual habits are turning harmful, either for you or your partner.
- You should also seek help when you begin to lie to your family and spouse in a desperate bid to hide your sexual behavior.
Don’t forget: making the right choices is the first step to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. There are other alternatives to keeping yourself preoccupied in case you find yourself turning to unsafe sexual habits. For starters, try working out in lieu of sex. Exercise is a good physical activity that offers a plethora of health benefits. Thus, it’s a great substitute if you’re looking to pull back from sexual activities.
Overall, sexual behavior is a personal aspect in life that can differ from one person to the next. Your sexual behavior is a reflection of not just your physical health, but also your mental health as well. Engaging in sexual activities is normal, but it becomes a problem when your sexual habits become excessive or even harmful.
Always be mindful about yourself and your partner when it comes to sex. After all, sexual activities can turn into a source of problems instead of pleasure if you don’t keep yourself in check.