Once upon a time, hats were an indication of someone’s social status. People used hats to show how far up the social ladder they stood.
Times have changed, and hats have since evolved from status symbols to everyday fashion accessories. And nowhere is this change more evident than in the humble baseball cap.
Today, baseball caps don’t only pop up on the diamond. They show up on the fashion runway, and on the streets adorning the heads of the fashion-conscious. Even celebrities have gotten in on the act. Celebs light up the red carpet with their take on this iconic American hat for men.
Next up is a handy list for you, dear reader. Take a look at our list of the 30 best baseball caps that are sure to make you look more fashionable.
First on our list is the Classic Polo Style All Cotton baseball cap from KBETHOS.
Soft and durable, this cap gives an updated look on an all-American classic design.
The cap is tough enough for outdoors and luxurious in look and feel. This deserves a spot on our list of the best baseball caps.
Next on our list is the Nike AeroBill Featherlight Cap.
Nike brings its innovative Dri-FIT technology to its men’s hats for the ultimate comfortable and cool experience. This baseball cap is easy to style and versatile enough to wear anywhere. Be it at work, at the gym or at a party, you’ll be sure to look sharp in this cap.
Corduroy isn’t a fabric you would usually see in baseball caps, but Adidas makes this unusual fabric work with their Men’s Original Relaxed Strapback Cap.
Emphasizes warmth and comfort, the cap comes in an array of cool colors to complete your #OOTD.
This men’s hat is another top pick on our list of the best baseball caps today.
Ralph Lauren makes their entry on our list of the best baseball caps. Their signature brand Polo gives us this cotton twill cap that is sure to be a hit.
The Polo Cotton Twill Baseball Cap is characterized by a simple yet stylish look. This cap looks good with any outfit and is a definite must-wear.
Falari enters this list of the best baseball caps with their Classic Baseball Cap.
This baseball cap features an unstructured and lightweight design, and is good to go for both the great outdoors or a night in town.
Tommy Hilfiger joins our list of the best baseball caps with their Men’s Ardin Cap.
The cap rocks a classic unstructured design, and is a welcome addition to any man’s wardrobe.
Next up, we have an entry from Carhartt.
The Carhartt Men’s Odessa Cap has a rugged design; its leather build adds flair and character to the cap. A solid addition to any man’s baseball cap collection.
If you’re feeling a bit patriotic but still want a cool looking cap, then this is for you.
Smather and Branson give their hand-stitched cap a nationalistic flair. The embroidered American flag makes this cap an instant classic that’s suitable for any occassion.
Lacoste joins our list of the best baseball caps with their take on this classic headwear.
With its unstructured design, you’ll be able to give your outfit an elegant touch with this Embroidered Crocodile cap.
Rothco joins our list of the best baseball caps with their Camo Supreme Low Profile Cap.
The cap’s Buckram front panel provides great structure and integrity, while its camo pattern gives off a chic military vibe.
Calvin Klein makes an appearance on our list of the best baseball caps.
Calvin Klein’s Men’s Logo cap marries comfort with style. Keep yourself fashion-forward with this cap.
Armani Exchange hits a home run with the A|X Armani Exchange Men’s Classic Embroidery Logo Cap. A great fit, sturdy material and fantastic design come together to create a accessory you can rely on any day.
Hugo Boss is next on our list of the best baseball caps.
The Hugo Boss Men’s Logo Twill Cap balances form and function nicely. This versatile addition to your wardrobe can easily become an essential part of your casual look.
Under Armour is better known for its workout gear – watch out as they make waves with their casual wear.
The Blitzing Cap 3.0 from Under Armour is a great example of their design philosophy. Its structured design is fairy low profile, while the use of UA micro thread fiber gives supreme comfort and durability. A great cap for running and casual strolls.
Champion proves with the next entry that you don’t need fancy gimmicks.
The LIFE Classic Twill Cap from Champion is decidedly old-school. With its traditional 6-panel design, Champion proves that classic is the way to go.
Oakley enters our list of the best baseball caps next with their Men’s Tincan Cap.
Oakley uses flexfit material with a structured design to deliver a cap that is as iconic as its logo. Oakley caps make great additions to any men’s casual look and certainly belong on our list.
Coming up next on our list of men’s hats is Levine Hat Company’s Genuine Leather Men’s Baseball Cap.
Made of smooth, garment-grade leather, this baseball cap feels soft and luxurious. Its structured design helps it keep its shape, keeping you looking clean and crisp.
Hurley hits things out of the ballpark with their entry on this list.
Not only is their Dri-Fit Staple hat great for outdoor workouts, its versatile colors and design mean it fits your casual wardrobe game too.
Original Penguin has a decades-long history of making great clothes and accessories.
The best baseball caps often follow simple, proven designs. Penguin’s Solid Suiting Baseball Cap is no exception. This baseball cap is a solid fit for both active and casual wear as well. Is it any wonder why they’re making an appearance on this list?
American apparel brand Nautica makes a foray on our list of the best baseball caps via their Men’s J-Class Hat.
This unstructured cap features the traditional 6-panel construction. Embroidered ventilating grommets and cotton material ensure maximum comfort.
Levi’s offers up their version of the all-American classic baseball cap. Their Levi’s Men’s Classic Baseball Cap has a cool urban feel to it with its tonal rows of stitching. A must-have for fans of the brand and a great addition to our list of the best baseball caps.
DC enters our list of the best baseball caps with this version of the classic men’s hat.
DC’s Capstar TX Hat emits an urban vibe, and is great for casual gear and for when you want to show off a bit on the street. Its 3D embroidery gives the brand logo a solid feel.
Perry Ellis redefined fashion for men in the 1970’s and 1980’s. Today, Perry Ellis’ brand continues to redefine fashion with their Perry Ellis baseball cap.
A six-panel construction gives a classic look broken up by ventilating grommets. The cap exudes style and is a great fit for both casual and athletic outfits. A shoo-in for our list of the best baseball caps.
The Hat Depot keeps it simple, but is no less functional. This six-panel hat prioritizes comfort for all-day wear. This cap pairs well with casual or urban wear but is great for almost any outfit.
Quiksilver joins our list of the best baseball caps with their flex fit baseball cap.
This particular option is made from a blend of cotton, polyester and spandex for greater elasticity to fit larger head sizes. This men’s hat is a solid choice when it comes to skatewear.
RVCA updates the classic men’s baseball cap with their version of this men’s hat.
The cap has a flat brim instead of a curved brim. The cap sports a rubberized brand logo on the front panel. An embroidered brand logo shows up on the rear. The RVCA Baseball cap is an excellent laid-back fashion choice.
Kangol brings its unique street style to our list of the best baseball caps.
Kangol’s Furgora baseball caps first hit the scene in the 1980s. These caps quickly became popular in New York’s hip-hop scene and remain a staple today.
Puma joins the club with their cool looking and stylish baseball cap.
The Evercat Mesh Stretch Fit Cap is a great fit for outdoor activities. Its polyester-cotton blend and moisture-wicking feature keeps you cool and keeps sweat out of the eyes. The cap also pairs well with streetwear.
As the popular saying goes, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Timberland sticks to the classics with this men’s baseball cap.
With a leather and brass strap and closure, the cap keeps everything old-school. The cap is very versatile and will come in handy for almost any occasion.
Get stylish with Stetson’s leather baseball cap. Made of 100% leather, this men’s hat has a cotton and nylon blend lining for comfort and breathability. It’s a great pick for outdoor activities.
What Are Baseball Caps Made Of?
Baseball caps are a staple of American casual wear. This men’s hat comes in a variety of styles and materials. Let’s take a look at some of the most common materials used for baseball caps.
- Wool: Wool was once the most common material used in baseball caps. Today, most baseball caps are made from a blend of wool, cotton and synthetic fabrics.
- Cotton: Cotton is the material of choice when comfort is the top priority. Baseball cap sweatbands are often made of cotton.
- Nylon: Nylon is often used in caps that are going for a more comfortable feel. This kind of fabric also offers a small degree of water resistance.
- Polyester: Polyester is a durable and versatile material used in many clothing lines. As it tends to be stretchable, polyester is a good choice of material for baseball caps.
- Lycra: This material is often used in place of rubber for stretch-fit caps. It is also used in baseball cap sweatbands.
Plain Baseball Caps And Customizing Your Cap
Many baseball caps today feature some sort of team logo or brand logo. Despite this, the plain, single solid color baseball cap is still a go-to for many. The plain baseball cap is simple and complements most outfits easily. Best of all, plain caps are more affordable than “premium” baseball caps.
Plain baseball caps also offer an outlet for creativity. You can customize the cap to your liking via many ways. These include adding your very own logo to it, tie-dyeing it and adding embroidery.
Several companies today that offer customization services for baseball caps. Amazon, Etsy and other companies let you customize caps purchased from their stores.
You could also DIY your custom baseball cap. Patches are a great way to spice up your hat and they are easy to attach as well. Unleash your creativity and create your own unique baseball cap today!
How To Clean Up Your Baseball Cap
Nothing kills your style game more than a dirty, sweat-stained baseball cap. Here are a few tips you can take note of when cleaning your baseball cap(s).
Before washing your cap, note the materials it is made from. This is often specified on the manufacturer’s tag. Fabrics respond to different cleaning materials differently, so always be sure to use the right cleaning agent.
Pre-treating Your Baseball Cap
Pre-treating your baseball cap is an important part of stain removal. This helps loosen tough stains and makes washing your baseball cap easier. Here’s how to do it:
- Apply a small amount of a mild detergent solution to the stained areas. Remember to avoid using detergents that contain bleach!
- Using a small, soft brush, scrub the stained part. Be gentle while scrubbing to avoid breaking any stitching.
- Wipe away any excess soap using a soft cloth.
If stains persist, you can use a stain remover like Oxiclean Versatile Stain Remover Powder. Oxiclean contains a color-safe bleaching agent that won’t damage your cap. Alternatively, you could use a DIY paste made from baking soda and water. White vinegar is also a good stain remover.
How To Remove Sweat Stains From Baseball Caps
Sweat stains tend to stand out on baseball caps. Before you wash your baseball cap, it’s best to spot clean the cap. This gets rid of those pesky sweat stains. Here’s how you spot clean your baseball cap:
- Pre-treat the stains. Do this if the sweat stains are nasty or the discoloration is extreme. Remember to avoid using bleaching agents.
- Make a mild cleaning solution for the stains. Mix a little detergent (remember, no bleach!) and water. Some people use shampoo instead of detergent.
- Scrub the sweat stains with the cleaning solution. One way to do this is to dip a small cloth in the solution and rub it on the stains. For tougher stains, use mild scrubbers like toothpaste.
- For tough stains, using a small amount of white vinegar helps. Drip 1 tablespoon of vinegar on stains and scrub the stain away. You could also use a paste made of baking soda and water the same way.
- Once the stains are gone, use a new cloth and cool water to remove any excess soap left on the cap. If you have a leather baseball cap, use a damp cloth instead.
- Air-dry the cap. Avoid placing your baseball cap in a clothes dryer if you want it to keep its shape. Avoid direct sunlight too as direct sunlight can cause the colors of your cap to fade.
How To Wash Baseball Caps In A Washing Machine
Not all baseball caps can survive a trip to a washing machine. Use this cleaning option only on colorfast caps, caps made of cotton or cotton blends, and wool or twill caps. Avoid using washing machines for caps with brims made of cardboard.
- Pre-treat stains on your cap. If you’re washing the baseball cap along with other clothes, you may want to put the cap in a garment bag.
- Run the laundry on the gentle setting and use cold water. Add your laundry detergent using the manufacturer’s instructions. Avoid bleach.
- Remove the cap from the washing machine and air dry completely.
How To Wash Baseball Caps In A Dishwasher
Like washing machines, dishwashers should be your last resort when it comes to washing baseball caps.
- Set your dishwasher to the light wash cycle setting.
- Add your detergent.
- Use a cap frame on your baseball cap to preserve its shape. These handy little items are available on Amazon and other online stores. Place your cap in the dishwasher.
- Run the dishwasher. Avoid washing along with heavily soiled dishes. This stops food stains from forming on your cap
- Remove the cap from the dishwasher.Then, air dry your baseball cap.
Dry Cleaning Your Baseball Cap
Baseball caps can be dry cleaned to remove stains, but it’s often not worth the cost. We recommend you try one of our suggested methods instead.
How To Wash Baseball Caps By Hand
Hand washing baseball caps is the best method of cleaning your cap. Hand washing avoids damaging the cap and deforming it. Here’s how to hand wash your baseball caps.
- Fill your sink or a bucket with warm (but not hot) water. Err on the side of cool.
- Add laundry detergent. Avoid detergents that contain bleach.
- Spot clean your baseball cap to remove the tougher stains.
- After spot cleaning, soak the baseball cap in the water for a few hours. If the cap isn’t too dirty, 30 minutes to an hour is fine. For heavily stained baseball caps, let them soak for up to four hours.
- Rinse the cap of soap in warm water.
- Pat down with a towel to get rid of excess water. Air dry your baseball cap.
How To Store And Display Your Baseball Cap
Men’s hats, including baseball caps, tend to be tricky to store. You can’t throw them in a pile and expect them to not get damaged. There are quite a few good solutions to storing and displaying the best baseball caps.
Solution 1: Hat Rack
Hat racks make a great storage solution for your baseball caps, especially if you have limited storage space. They are easy to install and help to minimize clutter. Cap racks are also a great way to display your collection of caps. Do note, however, that your hats may get dusty over time since they are exposed to open air.
Solution 2: Hat Boxes
Hat boxes are another good storage option for your caps. They keep dirt and dust off your cap during storage while ensuring that the cap retains its shape. You can also get plastic cap boxes that can double as display cases for baseball caps. The main drawback of choosing hat boxes is that they require a lot of space.
Solution 3: Organizers
Organizers are one more way to store your baseball caps. These let you store several different caps and help save space. A great alternative for storing several different caps.
How To Wear Baseball Caps
The baseball cap is a polarizing fashion accessory. On one hand, we have fashion purists saying a resolute “no” to caps; on the other, we have people who regard baseball caps as essential fashion accessories.
While this debate has raged for quite a while, men have started to realize that it isn’t actually about wearing a cap, per se. The real question is, “How should you wear a baseball cap?”
Baseball caps come in several styles that go with different kinds of outfits. Let’s take a look at these styles and discover which outfits to wear with each.
Snapback and strapback caps are adjustable baseball caps. Snapback caps have a plastic snap closure at the back. Strapback caps, meanwhile, feature a leather closure at the rear.
These styles of baseball caps often have flat brims and high profiles. Snapbacks and strapbacks go well with many outfits – casual, athletic, streetwear, preppy, hipster, etc. A versatile and iconic cap.
Fitted caps are not adjustable. Before buying fitted caps, make sure you measure the width of your head for a good fit.
Fitted caps can have either curved or flat brims. These caps feature structured designs and high profiles. Like snapback caps, fitted caps go well with many outfits.
These baseball caps are a style icon lifted straight from the skateboard scene. Many people like five-panel caps because of its low profile and rounded shape.
The mesh panel at the back of Trucker caps sets it apart from other types of baseball caps. This cap isn’t a good fit for many streetwear outfits but is rather best used for outdoor activities.
Popularized in the early 2000s, these soft, unstructured caps are a fan-favorite. Dad caps make a great fashion accessory. This style can complement many different outfits well.
Baseball Cap Fashion Tips
Looking good in a baseball cap takes some effort. You can’t put a cap on your head and call it a day. Let’s run through a few tips on wearing your baseball cap.
- Take off the cap sticker. Leaving it on makes you look like a fool. Get rid of it pronto.
- Clean hats look great. Keep your baseball cap clean and ditch the grungy looking ones.
- Make sure your baseball cap fits well. Too loose and your cap will fly off with the gentlest of breezes; too tight and they’ll leave marks on your head.
- Less is more. Baseball caps with trendy prints tend to lose their appeal after a single season. Plain baseball caps, on the other hand, are timeless and will always look classy.
Keep your cap’s material in mind when picking out one to use. If you are planning to exercise, choose a cap made of cotton or a similar breathable material. Going out in the cold? Pick a wool or suede cap instead.
A Final Word On Baseball Caps
Baseball caps aren’t just a way to show support for your favorite sports teams, nor are they merely a means of keeping the sun from your face. The baseball cap is a symbol of true American fashion.
That being said, there is no right or wrong way to wear your baseball cap. So get in gear, put on your best baseball cap and go have fun.