Here’s a fact: waterproof socks can lessen your risk of injury when you’re outdoors. Any experienced outdoorsman will tell you that comfortable footgear is essential. Don’t get caught out with cold and damp socks that can end up ruining your adventure. And worst, leave you with stinky feet! On this list, we’ll guide you on how to choose the best and which ones are worth the investment.
What to Look for When Buying Waterproof Socks
Buying something as simple as waterproof socks should be a no-brainer, right? However, if you’re going to be investing a good chunk of money on a pair then it’s only smart to do your research beforehand. Just like choosing the best men’s running shoes, your socks need to serve their purpose well. Here are some of the things you should look for.
- Material – When it comes to the kind of material, you can choose from synthetic or organic. This is important because the material determines the comfort level your outdoor socks can provide. It can also dictate resistance to bacteria and breathability. Fortunately, you have plenty of options available from bamboo, merino wool, polyester, cotton, and many others. The key is finding the right material for the right type of environment.
- Waterproof Rating – Most people tend to buy one to three different pairs that suit different environments. Not all waterproof socks have the same level of water resistance. This is one of the important things you must keep in mind when choosing one for yourself. You’ll find labels that indicate their waterproof rating. Here’s how to better understand what those numbers mean.
- 0: not waterproof
- 1 to 1K: resists water
- 1K to 5K: waterproof, but will not withstand really bad weather.
- 5K to 20K: waterproof, but will become wet if submerged for a period of time.
- 20K to 40K: waterproof even when in shallow water.
- 40K+: fully waterproof.
- Design – When it comes to design, we’re talking about how well your outdoor socks fit your feet. Even the slightest discomfort can dampen your outdoor experience so this is something to keep in mind. If you’re purchasing outdoor socks for hiking, choose something that has plenty of stretches. You would also want extra support so three-layer designs with reinforced toes and heels are also preferable. These should help you avoid unwanted issues such as blisters. Lastly, do think about the socks’ length. Depending on your environment, you might need a bit more protection for any exposed skin. For this, choose mid-calf socks or ones that are longer.
- Antibacterial Properties – Injuries are inevitable when it comes to outdoor activities. You can minimize its effects by having a good pair of hiking socks that have antibacterial properties. With this added yet necessary feature, you can ensure proper hygiene and improve your overall experience. This is important if you get open wounds during your trip and wouldn’t be able to get it checked for a few more days. The protection your waterproof socks can offer will help with the healing process. It can also keep it from getting infected or festering as you make your way back.
- Price – Lastly, price is also another point of consideration to keep in mind. The price will increase depending on the materials used and the brand. For those on a budget, synthetic socks are your best bet. If you choose well, they can be just as durable and reliable as organic options. Where to buy waterproof socks? You’ll find many affordable yet quality ones on Amazon.
The Best Waterproof Socks
Considering all the options available today, choosing the right outdoor socks for your needs might be a daunting task. To help make things much easier, check out our shortlist of the best and most versatile options available in the market.
1. Sealskinz Mid-Length Waterproof Socks
As one of the pioneers for waterproof socks, Sealskinz has become the go-to brand for people who want quality products that keep water out without fail. The Waterproof Cold Weather Mid Length Sock is a great all-around option and can offer just the right amount of warmth and breathability. Its length is versatile enough for several different activities that call for protection from the elements. The Merino wool lining provides comfort and moisture control on top of supplying insulation. Aside from being windproof, Sealskinz’s three-layer construction technology will keep your feet dry regardless of the climate.
Get the Sealskinz Waterproof Socks on Amazon.
2. Showers Pass Crosspoint Socks For Running
Showers Pass is another great brand to look into when you’re on the hunt for outdoor socks. When worn alone, the Showers Pass Crosspoint Socks can keep your feet dry even when they’re submerged in puddles. Showers Pass makes use of a three-layer fabric that also ensures breathability with waterproof capabilities. Though they were originally designed with cyclists in mind, these socks are suitable for a variety of outdoor activities, such as cycling, running, or even snow sports. Pair these socks with other Showers Pass products, like the brand’s line of waterproof jackets, and you’ll be set to take on whatever the weather throws at you.
Get the Showers Pass Crosspoint Waterproof Socks on Amazon.
3. DexShell Waterproof Coolvent Socks
Despite being lightweight, DexShell Waterproof Coolvent Socks are durable and can withstand different weather conditions. Patented with DexShell’s “4-Way Stretch” technology, these socks have a snug fit that provides wearers with more flexibility and comfort, allowing more room to move and remain active. If the lightweight appeal of these Coolvent socks isn’t for you, DexShell also offers a wide selection of the best waterproof hiking socks on the market. Offering supreme protection and warmth, DexShell’s outdoor socks can be used for even the most extreme of outdoor activities.
Get the Dexshell Waterproof Coolvent Socks on Amazon.
4. SuMade Ultra-thin Waterproof Socks
SuMade’s ultra-thin waterproof socks have an exterior that is made out of 100% polyester, and an interior constructed from a 100% PU waterproof membrane. Needless to say, it will provide you with ample water-resistance while also maintaining breathability. The ultra-thin fabric also flexes with your feet and will not feel bulky even when you’re wearing winter shoes. Because of its thinness, the SuMade is perfect for a variety of activities such as camping, trekking, fishing, skating, snowboarding, cycling, and even doing yard work on rainy days!
Get the SuMade Ultra-thin Waterproof Socks on Amazon.
5. Layeba 100% Waterproof Breathable Socks
On the other side of the price spectrum comes Layeba’s waterproof socks. Though they’re significantly more affordable, the Layeba 100% Waterproof Breathable Socks don’t skimp on quality. Waterproof on the outside but lightweight and comfortable on the inside, these are some of the best options for people on a budget. Thanks to their cushioned sole which provides some added comfort, they’re great as hiking socks too. As sizes tend to run a little large with this pair, we recommend going one size down.
Get the Layeba Waterproof Breathable Socks on Amazon.
6. Randy Sun Waterproof Socks
For those who want a little more color in their lives, well, at least during a cloudy afternoon trail run perhaps, Randy Sun provides the best bang for your buck. Unlike the minimalist and often the monotone design of other waterproof socks, these ones are sure to stand out. The array of colors adds some personality to your outfit while the three-layer construction keeps things breathable and waterproof. Its cushioned sole gives additional support and makes them comfortable enough to be worn as hiking socks as well. Who said you can’t enjoy a bit of style while grinding in the outdoors? While you’re at it, get one of the best bucket hats for men to complete your ensemble.
Get the Randy Sun Unisex Waterproof Socks on Amazon.
7. CAPAS 2mm Neoprene Socks
If you often spend time by the beach, the risk of getting injured by sharp rocks and the stray pieces of trash can be high. Protect your feet and keep it dry with the CAPAS 2mm neoprene socks. It is 100% made out of neoprene with extra protection on both the sole and toe areas. The socks provide a snug fit, ensuring that it won’t slip off even if you’re in water. Aside from its anti-slip feature, these water socks for men are soft, stretchy, and breathable. It is also multi-purpose and can be used for diving, snorkeling, kayaking, wakeboarding, and a slew of other water activities!
Get the CAPAS 2mm Neoprene Waterproof Socks on Amazon.
8. MEIKAN 100% Waterproof Socks
Thick and warm, MEIKAN outdoor socks will help keep your feet comfortable and cozy without overheating. They’re well-suited for daily outdoor activities such as walking and running, but they can also withstand harsher conditions and climates in case you’re looking for more adventurous endeavors. If you’re on a budget, these breathable waterproof socks are an option worth considering. You’ll get a top-notch product that will last you a while, without having to drop a significant amount of cash for it.
Get the MEIKAN Waterproof Socks on Amazon.
9. LEAKDRY Recycled Waterproof Socks
Waterproof technology and sustainability are combined in LEAKDRY’s recycled waterproof socks. These socks come with three layers, including a hydrophilic waterproof and breathable membrane. Its seamless construction also ensures that no cold wind will penetrate through. When it comes to comfort, the bamboo fiber interior will make sure you won’t feel any discomfort, even with long-term wear. LEAKDRY also made use of anti-friction and quick-drying materials, making it suitable for any type of outdoor environment. Whether you’re going trekking or fishing, these socks will protect your feet all the way.
Get the LEAKDRY Recycled Waterproof Socks on Amazon.
10. RTDEP 3mm Neoprene Water Sock
RTDEP Neoprene waterproof socks may cater to a more niche market, but there’s no denying their superb waterproof capabilities. The neoprene used is thick and protects your feet from any sharp objects or jagged terrain, whereas its anti-slip bottom is great for navigating more slippery areas. While the thick material means you can’t wear shoes with these durable socks, the Lifemall Neoprene Water Sock is capable of fitting into open heel fins, making them an exceptional choice for snorkeling enthusiasts. Their velcro buckle closure ensures a snug fit, and that 3mm layer of neoprene will keep your feet warm.
Get the RTDEP 3mm Neoprene Water Sock on Amazon.
11. NRS Hydroskin 0.5 Wetsocks
In contrast to Lifemall’s hefty 3mm neoprene socks, the NRS Hydroskin keeps it thin with a 0.5mm neoprene core. It’s that lack of bulk that makes traveling with these — and actually wearing them outside — all the more convenient. The NRS Hydroskin 0.5 Wetsocks’ outer layer is stretchy and gives wearers more mobility. Meanwhile, the soft inner layer provides increased insulation and effectively repels moisture. Both layers are easily secured through a snap closure, preventing you from accidentally losing one sock in the middle of your adventure.
Get the NRS Hydroskin 0.5 Wetsocks on Amazon.
12. Drymile Slim Socks for Hiking
Drymile’s waterproof socks are made of high-quality materials. Their outer is 97% nylon and 3% spandex, while their interior is made out of 56% bamboo charcoal and 44% nylon. This ensures that the socks will remain waterproof yet breathable in various outdoor environments. Whether you’re going in the mud or in the sand, you can rely on these socks to keep your feet dry. On top of that, it is also versatile. Because it’s ultra-thin and lightweight, you can even pair it with your favorite athleisure fashion pieces.
Get the Drymile Slim Waterproof Socks on Amazon.
13. DexShell Waterproof Ultralite Bamboo Socks
For a more everyday pair of waterproof socks, the DexShell Waterproof Ultralite Bamboo Socks are your best bet. This means they aren’t as bulky or feature-loaded as the others, but will still serve their purpose. Compared to the sportier designs of other similar socks, DexShell’s Waterproof Ultralite Bamboo Socks have a more casual look to them. Great for everyday wear, their waterproof characteristics make them more versatile than any regular pair of socks. They’re easily the best work socks for rainy days.
Get the DexShell Waterproof Ultralite Bamboo Socks on Amazon.
14. TANZANT 100% Waterproof Socks
Similar to other high-grade waterproof socks, the TANZANT also comes with three layers. The outer membrane keeps water out, while the interior helps with wicking out any moisture. Its design will keep your feet dry, insulate them during cold weather, and prevent any potential blisters during longer trips. The socks also come with an ultra-light cushion sole, boosting comfort and ensuring a snug fit. These water-resistant socks can be used in a variety of outdoor activities such as trekking, fishing, skiing, surfing, and can be worn well with some of the best walking shoes.
Get the TANZANT 100% Waterproof Socks on Amazon.
15. Hypershellz Ankle Length Waterproof Socks
When it comes to form and function, the Hypershellz outdoor socks will certainly fit the bill. Not only is it 100% waterproof, but it also comes with a seamless design that ensures comfort and a secure fit. Its outer is made out of 80% nylon and 20% lycra, while its inner is constructed out of 20% Merino wool, 20% nylon, 20% acrylic, 39% polyester, and 1% elastane. Its sizes run from small to extra-large, making sure that you’ll find the perfect fit. When it comes to versatility, it doesn’t fall behind either. From trekking, cycling, hunting, to mountain climbing in wet weather, you can rely on these socks to keep your feet nice and dry.
Get the Hypershellz Waterproof Socks on Amazon.
Are Waterproof Socks Really Necessary?
The best waterproof socks are the ones that do the most for you. For some, this could refer to the warmest socks of the bunch. For others, it could be socks that are capable of delivering results even amid the harshest of temperatures. Bottom line is, these socks make a great addition to your wardrobe, and you shouldn’t hesitate to get a pair of your own.