Learning how to wear a beanie is a styling hack that can magically transform any outfit. In the winter, having a stylish beanie hat can turn your warm layers of clothing into a head-turning one. The best beanies in the summer are also perfect for protecting yourself from the sun’s harmful UV rays without sacrificing style. As promising as these benefits come, styling a beanie can be challenging, especially for first-time wearers. Fret not! This guide will walk you through various fashion hacks that will help you stay warm and get in style all year round.
What Is a Beanie?
Before everything else, let’s first get you familiar with a beanie’s basic design and features. A beanie generally comes in the form of a brimless hat made from threaded triangular panels. It is often crafted from wool or knitted material and characterized by a snug fit. The main and primary purpose of a beanie cap for men and women is to keep heads warm during the winter. As such, beanies are typically worn by people living in cool countries. Just like hoodies for men, these clothing items eventually evolved into closet essentials that have a more fashion-inclined purpose. Due to this, various beanie styles and designs began to rise—and are now here to stay.
Tips on Choosing the Right Beanie for You
Among the essential tips on learning how to wear a beanie is choosing the right one for you. A good-fitting hat will complement your features well and make you look even more dashing than ever. Some fundamental guidelines that you must consider before purchasing a beanie include:
- Face Shape: If your face is chiseled or longer, opt for short beanies or tight-hugging ones. This helps avoid making one’s face even more structured than it is. On the other hand, people with small or round faces should go for longer or slouchy beanies. This way, they can achieve the illusion of a more well-defined face.
- Hair: Believe it or not, your hair length or style also affects the way your beanie looks on you. If you have long hair, opt for slightly loose or slim-fitted beanies to keep your hair’s natural flowy look. People with short hair should opt for tight-fitted beanie hats, as well. For curly hairstyles, bigger beanie sizes will do wonders in managing the curls and avoiding unsightly bumps on the hat.
- Color: To choose the right beanie for you, consider going through the clothes you intend to pair it with. If you wish to wear the beanie with bright-colored outfits, choose one that has a more muted color or plain design. Similarly, you may opt for beanies with fun colors or eccentric patterns if you wish to add a stylish flair to your outfit. The most practical and safest option would still be a plain black, white, or grey beanie that goes well with everything.
How to Wear a Beanie
1. Regular Beanie
This is the standard version of a beanie. It has the classic snug fit that we love and just the right amount of loose material on top. As a perfect balance between too-tight and slouchy beanies, the regular beanie offers the best insulation against cold weather. It stays snug on your head while its extra material helps trap warmth inside.
How To Wear It:
- A regular beanie’s standard look is best flaunted as is. Show off its classic style by simply pulling the rims upwards until they reach your brows. Letting them rest on the lower part of your forehead will look nice, as well.
- While looking chic and modish, this style also keeps your ears warm and comfortable. Since the fit is just right, you can easily pair it with your best pair of jeans or slightly oversized tops without anything looking too bulky or tight.
- In terms of hairstyle, you can effortlessly look fashionable without needing any special step done. Thus, a great beanie is essential for people who are always busy, and don’t have the extra time to style their hair.
- If you do have long hair, we advise letting it naturally rest. Tucking your strands in too much on the hat could result in weird-looking shapes poking at your beanie.
2. Slouchy Beanie
The fashion trends today are evidently all about laidback fashion. Men’s slouchy beanies are among the current fashion staples due to their comfortably stylish appeal. From its name, one can infer that a slouchy beanie has a more slouched or slumped look. It is comparably longer than other beanie types, with its extra fabric appearing to be slumped at the back of the head. Despite this key aspect, a slouchy beanie still stays snug by the seams—giving a more relaxed fit.
How To Wear It:
- When it comes to a slouchy beanie, you should wear it at the back of your head. Push it back and naturally let the beanie’s end slouch on top letting you achieve the cool, laidback flair in your outfit.
- A slouchy beanie is best for people with a bigger face. Since it’s quite loose, this beanie type can make your face look smaller. Alternatively, if your face is relatively smaller, you could go for other beanie types that can complement your features even better.
- Pairing slouchy beanies with trendy flannel shirts could also make you look Instagram-ready any time of the day.
- Part of the tips on how to wear a beanie properly is to style your hair in a way that’ll make you look more put together. If you have long hair, letting some of your strands peek out in the front of a slouchy will look flattering. Let your hair naturally sit on your forehead or temple to acquire that casually cool style.
3. Fisherman Beanie
This is another example of cool beanies for men that you can wear in style. It offers a snug feel for people who prefer to go for a more fitted beanie design. Due to this quality, it best complements people with sculpted jaws or more defined face shapes.
How To Wear It:
- Take a regular beanie and turn its side edges up to get a dashing fisherman’s beanie look.
- Some people prefer turning the sides inside out, giving it a more prominent fold. Make sure you don’t cover your ears.
- For an idea on how to wear a beanie of this design, you can wear it with a minimalistic shirt and plain jeans to acquire a laid-back feel. This could jazz up your otherwise casual outfit.
- A more styled-up choice could be an oversized jacket or layered clothes with colors that complement your fisherman’s beanie well.
- This beanie for men looks most flattering with short hairstyles. Your shaved head or clean-cut hairstyle can easily tuck in inside the fisherman beanie’s snug fit.
- Although you can still wear this with a long hairstyle, we recommend trying out other loose beanie types to avoid weird-looking bumps on the hat. With this tight-fitted beanie, your long hair will be further pushed down and make it look like it has less volume.
4. Pom-Pom Beanie
You can’t miss out on bobble or pom-pom beanie hats. This offers a distinct way to accessorize your head and stay warm in the winter. Above all, its unique design can help show off your individuality and flaunt your eccentric fashion taste.
How To Wear It:
- Check the bobblehead’s size. Make sure it won’t look too big on your head to avoid making it look more silly than stylish. When shopping, we do recommend trying on the beanie first to get a feel of whether or not the design is suitable to your liking.
- Pom-pom beanie hats for men can be considered statement pieces due to their bobble ends. As such, it’s advisable to go for more muted colors that could balance out this feature’s striking design.
- Aside from avoiding vivid colors, make sure to stay away from loud prints or bright patterns, as well. These could make your beanie look more like a party hat than a fashionable accessory.
- If you have a long hairstyle, opt for a slightly loose pom-pom beanie to avoid the appearance of unsightly bumps on the hat.
- You may try letting a few stray hairs flow freely and peek out from the beanie to acquire a chic and effortlessly cool look.
5. Cuffless Beanie
A cuffless beanie is among the most common and sought-after beanie types out there. Compared to other versions, the cuffless beanie has no extra material on its end for rolling or creating a cuff at the bottom. However, some people do try to maximize its use by merely folding the ends a few times—thus, turning it into a two-in-one cuffed beanie. This is strictly dependent on your preference or style, of course. It’s also worth noting that the cuffless beanie is your best option to stay warm since it covers your head and ears completely. Thus, it’s perfect for the winter or for people who easily get cold.
How To Wear It:
- Simply put on the cuffless beanie on your head and make sure that its front border sits a little above your brows and reaches your forehead.
- For maximum protection from the cold, don’t cuff the ends and simply pull them down to fully wrap over your ears.
- Although you can simply pull the cuffless beanie all the way down, you can vamp it up a bit by letting some strands of your hair poke out in the front. This gives a cool, nonchalant flair to your beanie look.
6. Statement Beanie
Who said beanies only come in plain designs or boring colors? Statement beanies are perfect for those looking for an interesting flair and added personality to their everyday outfit. Design-wise, they have graphic quotes or striking patterns that are enough to make every head in the room turn. The material could range from wooly hats to cotton beanies, as well. For instance, this Military Ba Beanie has an acrylic knitted material that comes in a distinct camo pattern. It can give an interesting twist to any outfit that you wish to wear during winter or cold days.
How To Wear It:
- Since they have attention-grabbing features, opting for a more minimalistic outfit would be more complimentary. These include plain shirts, solid jackets, or clothes in muted colors.
- Still, you can try mixing statement beanies with some appealing or patterned clothes you have. Just make sure that their shades complement each other well. For one, denim-patterned jackets could add a unique touch to your outfit and graphic beanie.
- This statement piece deserves to be in the limelight so make sure that its remarkable design can be entirely seen. Get rid of pesky hair strands by tucking the front part of your hair in. You may also tie or pull your long hair back—letting the beanie’s prominent design shine.
7 Must-Buy Beanies for Men
Keep up with today’s casual fashion trends with this trendy short beanie for men. WAWAFUN certainly delivered in the aspect of quality as this product is crafted with an excellent material of wool-acrylic blend. It’s simple, solid design makes it a versatile piece of clothing that can be paired with any winter or laid back outfit. The elastic enclosure of this WAWAFUN beanie gives you added grip, ensuring that it won’t easily fall off as you wear it. It comes in a variety of colors—giving you more options to level up your fashion game, as well.
Get the WAWAFUN Fisherman Beanie in Wool Material on Amazon.
Top off your layered clothing with this stylish and functional winter beanie. It boasts of a polar fleece lining and thermal wool shell that provide added protection from cold temperatures. Although it offers great insulation, the beanie remains soft and light to wear. The elastic closure of this OZERO Knit Winter Beanie lets it stay on your head while you do physical activities or outdoor sports. While there are many size options to choose from, the stretchable design and material provide more convenience since it lets the hat accommodate all head types. Notably, the best part of this OZERO beanie would be its excellent craftsmanship. From the elegant design to the intricate knitting details, you can easily achieve a posh look that matches both laid-back outfits or more formal clothes.
Get the OZERO Knit Winter Beanie on Amazon.
You can never go wrong with the simple elegance of a black beanie hat. What other better option do you have the most trusted beanie products from CHOK.LIDS? Among their most prominent and quality winter-wear hats is this Knit Fisherman Beanie that offers a timeless winter look. Its rolled-up design is beautifully paired with an intricate knitted pattern that gives the beanie more character. This fisherman beanie is perfect for protection from the cold when you’re hiking, skiing, or camping outdoors. As this hat comes in an array of colors, you can easily pick one that matches your personality or a product that suits any season of the year.
Get the CHOK.LIDS Knit Fisherman Beanie on Amazon.
The Redess Slouchy Beanie is another must-have hat that exudes stylish appeal. Its acrylic, fleece, and wool materials deliver the utmost comfort to any wearer. Many people were impressed as Redess took the extra mile in ensuring that this product is environment-friendly, as well. The beanie’s knitted pattern and wool also provide functionality in terms of heat insulation and warmth. Its pull-on closure and slouchy look give it a laid back charm that we incredibly love. You can pair this slouchy beanie with the best men’s boots or the most chic winter clothes in your closet.
Get the Redess Slouchy Beanie Hat on Amazon.
If you can rock an oversized beanie, the KBETHOS Baggy Slouchy Beanie will be a great choice. Made from premium acrylic material, you’re sure to get so much bang for your buck from its soft and comfortable feel alone. The baggy, slouchy design of the beanie also gives it a comfy fit that still looks effortlessly stylish. Investing in a versatile beanie that comes in this heather color is also best. You can get the most out of it since you can pair it with so many outfits and wear it as often as you like.
Get the KBETHOS Baggy Slouchy Beanie on Amazon.
Men’s woolly hats offer great ways to top off any outfit with a fashionable flair. The MERIWOOL Ribbed Merino Wool Beanie is one remarkable option that provides both function and style. Made from top-notch merino wool material, this beanie is surely built to last. The material alone makes this product worth every penny as it offers durability, added sun protection, and non-static qualities. You don’t have to worry about any foul smell due to this beanie’s antibacterial wool. A technology called thermoregulation operates behind the beanie’s natural cooling and heating properties. With this, you can always be ready for any season or weather that comes your way.
Get the MERIWOOL Ribbed Merino Wool Beanie on Amazon.
Without a doubt, Carhartt is one of the most well-known and trusted beanie brands in the fashion industry—and for good reason. The company always meets the quality standards when it comes to its products such as this Carhartt Cuffed Beanie for Men. The first-rate acrylic material of this beanie offers a soft feel that will make you enjoy wearing it for hours on end. It’s also as efficient as it’s comfortable since it helps keep your head and ears warm from cold weather. As a cherry on top, the iconic Carhartt logo graces the beanie with even more flair and character.
Get the Carhartt Cuffed Beanie for Men on Amazon.
How To Wear A Beanie With Functionality and Posh
The best tip on how to wear a beanie is to don it with confidence. Picking out the perfect beanie for your outfit will make you feel and look good at the same time. By simply wearing a beanie, you can also spruce up your look without spending so much time styling your hair. Investing in a good beanie hat is also perfect for keeping your head warm from the chilly weather. So, make sure to find the best men’s beanies for you to reap their functional and fashion-wise benefits.