Deciding what to wear on first date can be frustrating and crucial knowing that it could make or break your chance to make a good impression on the woman you really like. Outfits, especially one that you effortlessly carry could boost your confidence. It could level up not just your look, but also your dating game plan. From trendy outfits to classic styles, this guide will help you dress well and look appealing for any date.
Casual First Date Outfit Ideas
You can never go wrong with a polo shirt when it comes to casual first-date outfits. Compared to plain T-shirts, a collared top helps you look more chic and sharp. It’s great for daytime dates because it won’t feel too hot as you wear it.
- Opt for neutral polo shirts in black, gray, white, navy, or nude colors. These are easy to pair with most outfits and look more classy compared to bright-colored tops.
- If you’re feeling a little frisky, printed polos will showcase your fun personality and fashion taste. Keep other clothing items minimal and toned down so that the printed polo could be the focal point of your outfit.
- We highly recommend cotton polo shirts. These are far more breathable and will keep you comfortable, especially if you have plans for the whole day. These will look good for mini-golf or brunch dates.
- Make sure that your polo shirt’s collars aren’t too small or too big on you. Try it on first to make sure that the fit complements your body well.
Coordinates or co-ords are among the modish fashion trends today. They offer convenience by not letting you stress over what top and bottom clothes to pair it with. Of course, they are also stylish options that will make you look like you truly put an effort into your outfit.
- Muted colors or minimalistic designs exhibit a more modish look. Since you’re going on a casual date, you can dress down formal-looking sets by pairing them with bucket hats for men. You can also wear them with crisp, white sneakers that will look effortlessly fashionable.
- Matching sets composed of loud prints and various patterns are cool additions to date outfit ideas that can help you showcase your personality. It will surely make you stand out in a crowd, capturing your crush’s attention in a good way.
Don’t stress out about what to wear on the first date especially if you already have a sharp-looking sweater in your closet. It’s a great coffee date outfit idea for when the weather is relatively colder. Depending on the material, it could give more protection against the cold or an effortless savvy top.
- A cashmere sweater would be your best bet among other sweater types out there. It comes in a soft, luxurious material that exudes an elegant flair—no matter how simple it looks. It is also lightweight and wrinkle-free, so you won’t have to worry about sweating too much or having creases on your top.
- When it comes to first date outfits, collars are your best friend. So, you may opt for collar pullover sweaters that would make you look sharp. These offer the right amount of relaxed style and formal appeal for laid-back dates.
- If it’s cold outside, you can layer a sweater with a denim jacket or vest to make it look more stylish. This way, you’ll also acquire more insulation against the cold and stay dashing.
Whether it’s for a breakfast or lunch date outfit, jeans are clothing staples you must have. These can make or break your get-up but could make a huge difference in your whole look when paired with the right top and shoes.
- On the first date, try to avoid jeans that are too distressed. Remember, you are building a first impression—one that makes you look well-dressed put together. A distressed pair of jeans doesn’t quite express that same idea. It’s safe to go for more formal-looking jeans on your first date.
- If you have a bright-colored top, go for a darker pair of jeans to complement it well. For dark tops, you could go for light jeans to achieve contrast or wear dark ones for a sleeker look.
Pairing your casual date outfit with sneakers will also help you acquire a laid-back style. Depending on what style you choose, they can also keep your feet more comfortable for long walks on the beach or a stroll in the park.
- If you’re wearing a get-up with loud prints or vibrant colors, it’s a good choice to go for simple sneakers. Among the safest options are white sneakers because they offer a clean look that’s equally elegant.
- Aside from rubber sneakers, you could also opt for boat shoes or sneakers that offer a more elegant look.
Outfit Ideas for Date Night
For fancier dates such as eating at a five-star restaurant, a suit would be a classic choice. Make sure that the place you’ll be visiting requires a formal outfit so you won’t look out of place.
- Ditch the tie when it comes to wearing a suit so that it will look less like a corporate outfit. The suit will also look more appealing this way.
- You can’t go wrong with dark-colored suits that exude a lavish style. Make sure to accessorize with dress watches or choose to adorn yourself with a fancy necklace that complements your get-up well.
Oxford Button-Down Shirt
For date nights where you’ll watch a movie or grab dinner at a restaurant, an oxford button-down shirt would be a suitable option. It will make you look smart and well-dressed for the evening.
- Make sure to partner this top with formal pants. Doing so will make you look dapper and nice.
- A nice watch complements most outfits, especially an oxford button-down shirt.
If you’re wondering what bottoms to wear on a dinner date, it’s ideal to go for snappy and formal-looking pants. You may also dress these up or down with the right top—making them fashionably versatile.
- Chino pants are among the most practical and stylish bottoms to wear. They can complete your outfit for a first date without needing to splurge on expensive pants. Chinos also offer a trendy look that you can pair with a button-down shirt for evening dates.
- A pair of slacks is a viable option for a fancier date plan. They go well with a suit jacket or you can wear them with formal sweaters to achieve a chic look.
- Make sure that your bottoms complement the top well. Opting for basic colors such as black or gray would be the safest choice.
- Don’t forget to iron out your dress pants well. Although they come in a formal design, creases and wrinkles could easily ruin your look.
Don’t overlook the importance of choosing the right shoes to complete your date-night outfit. Opting for a pair of dress shoes will help complete your outfit and make you look more like a gentleman.
- A pair of shiny, black oxfords will give your ensemble an expensive look. Mahogany or brown oxford shoes can also give an expensive and formal flair to your clothes.
- Derby shoes are stylish dress shoes with laces that you may also incorporate into your formal date outfit. You could try classic black derby shoes with an all-black or gray ensemble. Beige or earth-toned suits would also look good with a brown derby pair.
- Make sure that your dress shoes are well-polished and clean before going out. Pairing them with nice socks could also make a huge difference in your overall look.
Date Outfits for Hot Weather
If you’re wondering what to wear on first date during the summer, T-shirts are great for staying cool and stylish. They could look extra fabulous when paired with pants that complement them well.
- Keep in mind that T-shirts are only good for casual or daytime dates. Otherwise, ditch them and go for collared tops instead.
- If the weather is too hot outside, choose a loose or oversized shirt. This will keep you breezy and achieve a stylishly relaxed look.
- T-shirts are great when paired with nice trousers or chino shorts. Opting for graphic shirts would lean more on streetwear style so it’s nice to wear stylish sneakers with them. On the other hand, minimalistic T-shirts would make you look fresh and are great to pair with denim bottoms.
Linen Button-Up Shirt
In the case when you need a slightly more formal top compared to a T-shirt, you can go with a linen button-up top instead. Linen is a thinner and more breathable fabric, making it suitable for summer date outfits.
- Pair your linen button-up with nice-looking shorts or a good pair of pants. You could also pair it with linen trousers of the same color to have a pleasing matching set to wear.
- If you plan to go to the beach or do other easygoing activities, you can undo one or two buttons from the top. Doing so will make you look cool and sexy.
To dress for date plans during the summer, you have to be as comfortable as you can. This way, you’ll feel confident and relaxed while you go about your day. For outdoor or daytime activities, you can wear shorts to keep your legs fresh and make you look dapper, as well.
- Chino shorts are breathable bottoms for first date outfits in the summer. Wear this pair to look more dressed up without sacrificing comfort.
- Avoid pairing dark shorts with dark tops in the summer. You can wear light-colored shorts if you wish to achieve a breezy, chic look. Similarly, only wear dark shorts if you have a light top on.
- Go for sneakers if you wish to achieve a more relaxed look. Relatively, you can spruce up your summer style with a good pair of loafers or boat shoes.
First Date Outfits for Cold Weather
A denim jacket is as versatile (and fashionable) as can be. If you don’t know what to wear on the first date, this will keep you warm and modish during cold days.
- It’s best to wear a white-washed or light denim jacket with dark clothes so that you can achieve contrast. Make sure that your jacket reaches at least up to your waist, as well.
- Dark or black jackets will look good with light clothes to balance out the colors. Still, you may opt for dark tops or bottoms for a dapper and sleek look.
- Although denim jackets are typically worn buttoned-down, you may close up the buttons if you wish to. Just make sure that you leave at least two undone buttons from the top so the jacket won’t look awkward or stiff.
Wearing a cardigan is one of the leading trends in modern men’s fashion. A cardigan provides a great, delicate touch to any get-up. They are good for the fall or for rainy days when it’s not too cold, but also not too hot.
- Wearing orange is a fashion staple that people love to do during the fall. You can give your first-date outfit a seasonal flair with a warm-colored cardigan. Opting for an orange-brown one is a great choice if you don’t wish to wear a bright orange color.
- For casual date plans, you can wear white sneakers for men that will look clean and crisp. On the other hand, you may dress your cardigan up with a pair of chukka boots that will keep you warm and stylish from head to toe.
You can never go wrong with a nice-looking coat to woo your date. This can be worn for fall or during the winter, as well. A coat will also keep you warmer since they usually come in thicker materials such as cashmere, wool, or corduroy fabric.
- Black is a nice color to wear with any coat. Wearing a dark top and pants under it will give you a silhouette that looks sexy under the layers. Unless it’s really cold, avoid wearing a sweater under the coat because these could make your clothes look bulky.
- Accessorizing with a beret gives your get-up a cool vintage touch. If you wish to wear a long trench coat, a nice fedora hat will make you look even more like a dapper gentleman.
Anyone can easily pull off wearing a leather jacket as long as they know how to style it right. . This could effortlessly spruce up your clothes and look pleasing for a date—especially on cold days.
- A black leather jacket is an ultra-warm, comfortable, and classic choice. A gray or brown one is a good option that would look great in the fall.
- Complete your first date dress-up with a good pair of pants. A leather jacket goes with most bottoms but pairing it with denim pants or chinos will look best.
Boots will keep your feet warm and comfortable when the weather’s too cold. Compared to typical sneakers, boots look more dressed-up and can easily stylize any get-up, too.
- Chelsea boots are among the most comfortable and fashionable choices for cold-weather dates. For a more casual look, you can wear these with a pair of jeans or a nice sweater during the fall season. For formal dates, Chelsea boots will also look good with a blazer or a coat.
- For casual outdoor dates, you can wear moc toe or work boots. Getting them in brown will be your best bet because this color offers a timelessly beautiful design. You can pair moc toe boots with denim, flannel, or earth-tone clothes to achieve a ruggedly handsome look.
What to Wear on First Date for a Good First Impression
Without a doubt, the clothes you wear are just as important as your romantic date plans. The way you dress and carry yourself will significantly affect your date’s first impression or lasting perception of you. Keep in mind that beyond putting together a good outfit, you must also observe proper conduct and stay chivalrous. A cool get-up and nice personality will do wonders in impressing someone on your first date.